Student-athletes at Ohlone College are expected to represent themselves, their team and the College with honesty, integrity, and character whether it be academically, athletically or socially. Participation on an intercollegiate team is a privilege, not a right, and should be treated as such. Participation has many benefits and brings with it a responsibility to be positive and effective members of the team, department, college and the broader community.
Renegade Athletics, along with the student-athletes who represent our intercollegiate programs, are a window to the College. Student-athletes often are in the spotlight and their behavior is subject to scrutiny by their peers, members of the campus, local and statewide communities, and by the media. The actions of one student-athlete may result in a generalization to all student-athletes and reflects on the individual, team, department and College, whether it be positively or negatively. It is expected that all student-athletes will abide by team, department and College policies and procedures.
Student-athletes who do not abide by this code may be subject to consequences for their actions that may include, but are not limited to: a written warning, team suspension, team dismissal or dismissal from the College. In addition to all College policies, student-athletes are responsible for following the standards of the Coast Conference, the California Community College Athletic Association, and all local, state and federal laws.
Student-athletes should adhere to the following rules and standards of the Code of Conduct:
- Be on time for everything.
- Take care of equipment and facilities.
- Exhibit sportsmanship at all times.
- Follow all team rules.
- Take academics seriously.
- Strive to excel in the classroom. Plagiarism is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
- Treat instructors, staff, and classmates with respect and courtesy. Bullying, harassment, or misconduct of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Arrive to classes on time and do not leave early.
- Be prepared for all classes and be attentive, take notes, and engage in class dialogue.
- Student-athletes should not all sit together in class and should consider sitting closer to the front of the class.
- Notify instructors in advance when competition or travel requires a class to be missed. It is recommend to connect with instructors the first week of class with a simple introduction, including the letter from the department and the official competition schedule.
On and Off Campus
Student-athletes may be suspended from participation or dismissed from the team for any of the following:
- Arrest for any crime
- Harassment directed toward any person or group via verbal or through electronic means (e.g., Facebook®, Twitter®, Rate My Professors.com)
- Lewd or obscene behavior
- Use/possession of chewing tobacco or other tobacco products
- Possession of illegal drugs and/or alcohol, including related paraphernalia
- Theft or burglary
- Gambling or bribery
- Any conduct that is detrimental to Ohlone College or Renegade Athletics
As a member of the Renegade Athletic Department, please keep in mind that not only do you represent yourself and your family, but you also represent your team, department, and the College. Head coaches may set specific dress code standards when traveling as a team. Coaches may also specify what constitutes appropriate dress while representing the institution at other times.
Violations of the Code of Conduct can lead to suspension or dismissal from athletic competition as well as further disciplinary action from the College.
May result in suspension from the next contest or dismissal from the team or suspension or expulsion, depending upon the severity of the misconduct and surrounding circumstances.
Will result in suspension from remaining team contests or dismissal from the team, or more severe discipline, depending on the severity of the misconduct and surrounding circumstances.
Dismissal from the team and dropped from the associated athletics class, with no possibility of returning to the athletics programs in subsequent years in any sport. College discipline will also be in effect and will be pursued to the fullest extent.
I have read and understand the Code of Conduct. I understand it is my responsibility to abide by these terms at all times. I also understand that failure to abide by these responsibilities may result in my dismissal from the team temporarily and/or permanently, as well as other college disciplinary actions.
Student-Athlete (Signature) Date
Parent/Guardian Signature (If Student-Athlete is under the age of 18) Date